Sunday, September 16, 2012

French Toast Dumplings

I saw this recipe on Pintrest and have been wanting to try it! It's super easy to make and Nic LOVED it!

I'll post the recipe on here and then I'll post the link I found at the bottom. The link has more pictures than I do (at least right now), but I wanted to show you guys a second opinion.

WARNING: This is super sweet! Nic and I have decided to try and make this a Christmas morning tradition. It's not really something I would make all the time.

Time to cook: About 30 min, maybe less

Ingredients 

1 can of Large Flaky Layers Biscuits

1 1/2 cups of Maple Syrup 

1/3 cup of Brown Sugar

1 tsp of Nutmeg

1 cup Cinnamon Sugar or 2/3 cup of Sugar 1/3 cup of cinnamon (Honestly... eyeball it... it's just cinnamon sugar)

A dollop of Mascarpone ..... I don't even know what that is.... I just used sour cream with some brown sugar.

Directions

In a medium sauce pan add Syrup and Brown Sugar and bring up to a simmer.

Take each raw biscuit and cut into fourths.... roll each fourth into a ball. I didn't even use a whole can, but then again I was only cooking for two.

Gently add the biscuits to the simmering syrup... make sure you leave enough room for them to puff up... 
.... cover and let the biscuits double in size rotating once so that they are evenly coated in the syrup. 
I don't like pure dough so I made sure they looked mostly cooked.

Let cool.




While the dumplings are cooling combine Cinnamon, Sugar, and Nutmeg in a small bowl. (I didn't have 
nutmeg at the time, but I'm sure it would've been awesome!)

Once the dumplings are cool gently toss them in Sugar mix. I also thought about keeping them all in the pan and sprinkling the cinnamon sugar mix over the dumplings to limit the mess.

Drizzle on some of the syrup from the pan and add a dollop of Mascarpone or Sour Cream/Brown Sugar. (Nic didn't like the sour cream... he wanted pure sugar so I just put the sour cream and brown sugar into a small bowl, mixed it up and dipped my dumplings this there. I loved it)

And there you have it! French Toast Dumplings! 

*Remember these are very high in sugar, but so worth trying! I'll try to update this next time with more pictures!










No comments:

Post a Comment